Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mathematical Dark Arts

Today I went to the Indigo in Montreal to pick up some books with a lovely girl. I was looking the Science section of the bookstore (which I might add is much too small considering that the bookstore itself wouldn't exist if it were not for that section) when one book in particular jumped out at me. It was called Proofiness: The Dark Arts of Mathematical Deception. According to the inside of the cover, the book is about the corrupt use of mathematics and statistics to persuade people. Thinking about it, I realized how easily we blindly follow the statistics that are handed to us. It's going to be a good read. Inside, my inner child is throwing a tantrum. Before I saw that book I was going to buy Batman: Year One. 


On a side note, I watched V for Vendetta and Watchmen again. Excellent movies, even better graphic novels. 

5 comments:

  1. 83.3% of statistics are made up on the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright that's it.

    I'm buying Batman for you.

    >=(

    ReplyDelete
  3. 130% of the time Oleksi, you're statement is true.
    Anja, IM BATMAN =O

    ReplyDelete
  4. How would you know that the graphic novel watchmen is better IF YOU HADN'T FINISHED READING IT YET???

    Hipster. Go pick a flower.

    YEAH THAT'S RIGHT

    Nick it didn't accept all of my HTML

    saaaad

    :c

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your broken text formatting makes me want to punch something in the right arm.

    ReplyDelete